Sunday, October 14, 2012

Shadows



When you think of shadows
   what are your thoughts?



It's that time of the year. The weather turns cool. Jack-o-lanterns, scare-crows, wispy ghost figures, and frightening masks fill your neighborhood.



When I was little and alone, shadows scared me.  With the moon creeping through an upstairs window at night and tree branches scratching the outside walls of the house, goosebumps spread on my arms and legs as the shadows scattered across my bedroom floor. Shadows gave rise to thoughts of other creatures.



However, shadows of a different nature pursued me as I journeyed life...worry, doubt, disappointment, sickness, loneliness, resentment, rejection... you get the picture.
 

We live in a fear-based world, a world where bad news travels at light speed. . . . These are troubled times, times when we have legitimate fears for the future, our nation, our world, and our families.... (Day 165, 365 Daily Devotions for Women)



Keep your face always toward the sunshine. . . and shadows will fall behind you.  Walt Whitman
Tribulation
without trust in an almighty God
separates us
from Him.


.. as Christians we have every reason to live courageously.


 


It is easy to become so wrapped up in our shadows that we fail to seek God's guidance and therefore miss out on the peace that comes only from God.

I have set before you
life and death,
blessing and curse.
Choose life . . .
and remain faithful
to Him.
Deut. 30:19


Say goodbye to your shadows, 
whatever they may be.
Decide to trust.
Let go and let God.

Dear God,
May I reflect your image.  May I be your inseparable companion and follower.  May I never let the shadows in my life separate me from your grace and eternal promise.  
Amen

 







No comments:

Post a Comment