Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanks Giving

"Thanksgiving." A painting by Doris Lee.



The first Thanksgivings were harvest festivals where families and friends gathered to enjoy the fruits of their labors.  We can imagine the women and children bustling in the kitchen and pantry areas perhaps for days to prepare a feast of pies,various sweets and breads, garden vegetables, and meats.

The thought of getting together, eating together and giving thanks together before winter weather must have exited the children for weeks before the actual event.



Today, kitchen technology has made life much easier.  We don't have to spend days preparing our family feast.  We can even order take-out with all the trimmings from Hy-Vee.  Traditional foods are still anticipated along with time off from work, visiting with family and friends and early holiday sales.  




While listening to morning Christian radio, 
an announcer encouraged listeners to call in
 and share what they were thankful for.  
Unanimous answers were--
 family, 
friends, 
work, 
community, 
church 
and God.


Although  these are typically our most-praised blessings, I'm asking you to "think outside the box."  In another words, give thanks for family, friends, work, community, your church, and especially praise God and, then, do a little creative thinking.  

What else are you thankful for?

I started thinking of the spontaneous events 
     and persons who occasionally appear in my life 
          that have brought joy in an unforgettable way.

Let me give you some examples.

While traveling to Texas last week to visit grandchildren, I boarded the plane and approached my seat, 19E, where bubble gum was smeared on the seat and in the seat belt strap.  I called the flight attendant and asked if there were an open seat elsewhere.  I was directed to the only empty seat on the plane next to a lady named Darlene.  Darlene and I talked from DesMoines to Denver non-stop.  I gained a new friend.







At a recent workshop in October on marketing and writing, I met Sharon, another writer.  We swapped books, started emailing, and I eventually lined up a speaking engagement for her in my home town.  Another friend.












Traveling home on I-35 one day, my husband spontaneously called his sister.  "Want to meet for supper in Ames?"  "Sure," she replied, "I'll bring Sydney."  A college freshman and attending ISU on track scholarship, Sydney was delightful company.  The rest of the trip home no longer seemed long.









Arriving home from an extended trip, I walked the next morning and had to shout for joy as the sun rose.  I felt the scene was created just for me! 




Give thanks for family, friends, your work, your community.
But, above all, give thanks to God for everything good in your life.
And, then, constantly seek it....
A smile from a friend
A job well done
Reconnecting with someone from the past
Meeting someone new
God's awesome creation.



"I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."  John 10:10

"A cheerful heart has a continual feast."  Proverbs 15:15



Dear Lord, You have given me many reasons to celebrate life.  Today, help me find joy in simple and spontaneous happenings.  May my behavior and attitudes reflect your incredible love for me.  
     To God be the glory.  
          Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment