Thursday, July 14, 2016

Vulnerabilities ...


A concern as a writer is showing my vulnerabilities. However, a friend expressed that it is this that makes us beautiful. After this morning, I’m wondering.

Getting ready for a book signing at Waldorf College, I noted that my nails weren’t the best. And, my hair, after swimming in a chlorinated pool and, then, treating it with a “solution” yesterday looked good yesterday, but today it looks gummy. I applied baby powder to a brush,  and ran it through my hair. (I had read this could take the extra oil out of one’s hair.) Since I had not worn earrings for a while, both of my piercings­­­ in my right year were being stubborn, so I pushed both earrings in my left ear determined to pull one out and place it in the other ear later. Getting out my nail polish kit, I started on the nails. File, nail strengthener polish, a hint of color and, then, a white line for a French manicure. Yes, I could do this.

Needing to take care of errands before leaving for the book signing, I hurried to the car and hooked my hand into the handle none too carefully and smudged a whole hand full of nails. Ugh. Before going into the grocery store, I looked at my reflection in the rear-view mirror. Was that a powder line along my scalp? Whoops, two earrings in the right ear!

Sometimes, it seems that no matter how hard I try to get it right, look right, say it right—it turns out a mess, a mistake, or worse. The above is really minor, but I have said things in an attempt to make things better, and, instead, my words made it worse. I have done things with good and worthy intentions, and it turned out all wrong.

Thank goodness God is compassionate. I also believe he has a sense of humor. I removed the polish from both hands, washed my hair, and switched an earring to its right lobe. Some things we can fix; some things we can not.
Not only is our God compassionate, He is forgiving. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment