Monday, June 26, 2017

Floaters and Staying Afloat

As I have grown older, I have discovered some things I would never have discovered had I not embraced the aging process. I use the word "embraced" broadly.

For instance, while eating breakfast outside one morning and watching the sky,  I noticed a bird flying at an extraordinarily high altitude. ... And, then, I realized it was a "floater" instead of a bird. If you're not following me, you're too young to read this.


Step 1
Step 2









I understand that an almost 70 year old grandmother on a pair of skis behind a speed boat is not necessarily inspiring.

...I will get a confused look from my grandchildren if I use the words, "smorgasbord" or "crème rinse." The word "thong" when used in reference to the shoes I used to wear throws my children into a panic.


Recently, a grandson asked if I had had surgery on my elbow. Someday, he'll understand what the aging process does to one's skin.

Last week, I had an MRI for a spot on my kidney.* If I was 30 years old, I would be WORRIED. At my age, I'm thinking it is just another errant spot, and I'm not losing any sleep over it. Afterall, I have them all over my skin. Why wouldn't they be inside me, too?
 
In Anne Lamott's "Hallelujah ANYWAY," she writes, "Mother Nature is the main problem. She runs on the principal that we all just get killed." (Gotta love her humor!)... Sometimes, it causes me to wince; sometimes it causes me to giggle; sometimes, I stare at the clouds and believe there is something big going on out there that I will be a part of someday.

Good things happen. Praise God! Bad things happen. Get down on your knees. I have discovered that the not-so-good things, the things that take me to my knees, the things that I've wondered about are also the "things" that are a part of my destiny. God works it all out somehow.

Hang in there.
Keep afloat.
Pray without ceasing...

*The spot on my kidney was a harmless cyst.




No comments:

Post a Comment