Saturday, July 22, 2017

Call Me Eve Everyday

Most of us know the Bible story about Eve eating the forbidden fruit after God specifically told her not to. But the serpent got involved, and Eve really wanted to "know" herself (in other words, "be wise"). So, she made a decision NOT TO TRUST what God told her to do and take a bite. The rest is history. *see Genesis 3:17 below

Talk about the statement, "It takes a woman to get things done...." Well, Eve, oops, what can I say....here we are eons later suffering, not trusting, suffering, not trusting....
(Another topic for another time.)

Recently, I have another perception of this beginning-of-time story in that I am "Eve" most every day of my life...  How so? Due to my own human nature, I want to know why. Isn't this why Eve took that first bite? Satan told her, "Your eyes will be opened, you will be like God." Eve desired wisdom. She wanted to know things. When God issued this decree about not eating from the fruit of this tree it was because He wanted her to TRUST Him.


Everyday when I do not TRUST that my situations are in God's hands, and when I think I will understand and be better-off  IF I JUST KNOW WHY, I am an "Eve."

As a child and, yes, as an adult, I would think, "Come on Eve, God commanded you to do this, such a simple request. Who doesn't listen to God?" ....

...and here, I am just like Eve.




Forgive me, LORD.
And, that's why God sent His Son, Jesus; He knew I couldn't achieve this on my own.
Thanks be to God.



... from Genesis 3:1-7 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?" 2The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'" 4"You will not certainly die," the serpent said to the woman. 5"For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." 6When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7Then the eyes of both of them were opened,

No comments:

Post a Comment