Monday, August 21, 2017

A Warm Blanket

1 Kings 1:1... When King David was old and well-advanced in years, he could not keep warm.....

Sometimes it is hard to believe that God is a personal God; after all, he is the Creator and Master of stars and seas, mountains and microscopic life, and humankind with all its idiosyncrasies.  So...I should really not ask him to take away my headache however annoying it may be. He surely has something greater to be concerned about, like world hunger, children being sold into slavery, and innocent blood being shed for evil purposes than the fact that I have a minor misunderstanding with my child. Aren't these BIG things what I should be praying about?

God cares about these big issues and He wants our prayers concerning them; however, the Bible gives us example after example that God cares about each of us on a personal level, too. The very hairs on our head our numbered (Luke 12:7).

Compared to Him and His glory, our whole lives are made up of “little things.” Psalm 139:17–18 says, How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them, Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand....

When in Rochester recently and waiting for a loved one's chemo infusion to be completed, I felt a wave of exhaustion. It had been an early morning, and I needed to be alert to drive home. I went to the waiting room. There was not an empty chair. I walked the hall and found a bench settled by a window in the elevator area. I lay down using my purse for a pillow, studied the clouds, and simply said to myself, "I need to rest"--too tired to care what others thought. Someone soon approached me and asked, "Do you need a blanket?"

I thanked her and said, "yes." She brought me a warm blanket, covered me, and left.

It was a God-like thing.
Although just a "little thing."
I didn't know her; and, yet, I will remember her.
She was an answer to an unspoken prayer.



No comments:

Post a Comment