Monday, June 25, 2012

...There Is A Season

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; . . . a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; . . . a time to embrace. . . a time to keep silence and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; . . . What gain has the worker for his toil?  I have seen the business that God has given to the sons of men to be busy with.  He has made everything beautiful in its time . . . 
Ecclesiastes 3: 1 - 11

My husband and I attended the 60th wedding anniversary of some friends recently.  Sixty years is a long time.  Although they were concerned that no one will come, the attendance was huge, and they will be reading cards for days if not weeks.

When I was younger, I could not imagine being married, being a mother and never even thought of those "grandmother" years or the possibility of being married to someone forever.  My husband and I have been married over forty years; and even though we have had the ups and downs like many couples, we have surely been blessed.

When spending time with my son and daughter-in-law recently, we found ourselves examining photographs in a mall from the early 1900's.  The question, "What period of time would you like to go back to if you could?"  My daughter-in-law thought the 1950's would be a good time--antibiotics had been discovered, and clothes were less cumbersome.  Interesting, I thought.  My son thought that his life today was great.  When we pressed him with, Oh come on, play along, you have a time machine at your disposal, he changed his answer to "yesterday."  Smiling, he stated that life was good for him, and he didn't want to go anywhere else--an answer that any mother may be pleased with.

When it was my turn, my first response was the late 1800's; society was changing so quickly at this time; historical changes were happening.  And, then, my next thought was why not return to Biblical times when Jesus walked the earth?   It would be dusty, dirty, and so very unlike our clean, cool, efficient houses and work places, but what an insight.  The Bible would come alive in a different way because I had been there.

For everything there is a season. . .

Marci Cheevers just published her first book after thinking she could never write a book.  Shapato Publishing, a small publishing company out of Everly, Iowa, published her book.  I have not purchased yet, but when I checked it out, it appears to be spontaneous writing and joy over every day life.

For everything there is a season . . . 

A friend of mine wrote me a note regarding my last book, "All the Rivers Run Into the Sea."  She wrote, Your best talent is weaving the scripture into the story and your knowledge of the Bible.  The plot, the characters, and descriptive scenery are all just great.  I could hardly put the book down.  These were very encouraging words.  Just today, I received some not-so-encouraging words from another writer, Shelly Beach.  She has an impressive web-site, and she agreed to read this book.  Although her words were encouraging, she said her agent would not be interested in this book as the central plot was not established in the first chapter or two.

For everything there is a season . . .

Whatever your stage or place in life is at this moment, I encourage you to stay strong, believe in God's purpose for your life and then, continue.  Endure.

What gain has the worker from his toil?  I have seen the business that god has given to the sons of men to be busy with.  he has made everything beautiful in its time . . . Ecclesiastes 3: 11

Wishing you God's unexpected blessings this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment