Friday, August 3, 2012

Molly

I watched as she swung her two children--one in a regular child's swing, one in a bucket-type swing for toddlers.  "Want an under-dog?" she asked cheerfully as the children giggled encouragement.

Sitting on a deck over-looking Lake Pemushe in northern Minnesota, I read quietly soon to be interrupted again by playground chatter below.

"You can do it," Mommy encouraged as the little girl attempted the rock wall--and she did.

A few hours passed and again I rested on my perch-like deck with a hot cup of tea and a slice of zucchini bread overlooking the happenings below.  On the gravel road in front of the lodge, Mommy pushed the little boy in a stroller with one hand and pulled the little girl on a training-wheels bicycle with the other.  I wondered where her husband might be.  There were other families at the resort interacting with her and the children.  Maybe, he was fishing.

The following day we pulled our fishing boat up to the dock late one morning to see children splashing at the shoreline.  Mommy was there--paying careful attention to both.

I admired her and the personal sacrifices she was making to be a  mom--a good mom.  I sent up a prayer for her.

Following breakfast the next day in our small apartment, I laced my tennis shoes and took off for a walk.



 In spite of a few early morning mosquitoes, I enjoyed God's beautiful morning:  the sunlight drifted between the pines, a cool breeze brushed my skin, the smell of the lake and earth, the sound of a Loon.  No one else was out and about.  Walking back up the hill to our dwelling, I saw her.  Mommy.  Pushing the stroller and holding the other by her hand.

Psalm 143: 8 - 10     Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul . . .  Teach me to do your will, for you are my God . . .

"Good morning," I ventured and smiled.

"Hi," she answered with only a hint of a smile.

"Can I ask your name?" I hoped I wasn't being out of line.

"Sure.  It's Molly."

"Molly.  Nice to meet you.  I'm Kathy."

She waited.

"I just want to tell you what a good mother you are.  I've been watching you.  We're in the apartment above the lodge.  Watching you swing your children, helping with the rock wall, and hearing your words of encouragement.  That's wonderful." 

Her facial expression brightened, but her eyes filled with tears.

"There must be days when you tell yourself I can not do this any more."

She nodded in agreement.

"It's all worth it.  Some day they'll grow up and be some of your best friends."

Proverbs 25:11     A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

She murmured a simple thank you, and we parted.

Many of us think no one cares, no one notices, but someone always does.

Some of my most encouraging moments have come from strangers.  A note in the mail, an uplifting email, a simple thank you for a job well-done.  All too often, we say nothing.  We all need support and validation.  Encourage someone today.  If you put it off until tomorrow, you may not do it.

We are one in the Spirit.  We are one in the Lord.  Let us love one another. 


PS--Yes, I know the picture is sideways.  You can tell I am still learning tech skills.  More on that in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment