Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas and Martha


Martha?




God used the story of Mary and Martha from the book of Luke to explain how we should relationship with Our Savior. You may remember that Martha was the busy-body in their household--concerned about preparations for many arriving guests.

Mary, on the other hand, sat contently at Jesus' feet. I remember hearing this story in Sunday School as a child and thinking that perhaps Mary was lazy and even irresponsible--not helping her sister, as needed.





But, of course, the story is bigger than this
because
Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus.

Jesus tells Martha, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
 Luke 10:38-42 NIV

Martha? Who, me?



I do not consider myself anxious or impatient. Others may disagree. However, I am typically the energy-bunny in the house whether our house is full or empty. And, I know, I need to learn to settle. I have discovered that some of my most creative moments, the times I have felt filled with praise for an awesome creation, the times I have felt connected to another soul, have come when I have been still.









So, this morning I determined to start out differently.

1) I opened the window and let the December air rush in as the stars twinkled through bare tree branches. Pulling the covers up to my chin, I breathed in fresh, winter air--and rested.




2) I used the Christmas dishes to eat my ordinary breakfast of oatmeal.






3) I decided not to watch the clock when I did my daily Bible study and finished reading Mark.


After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them. . .
Mark 16: 19-20



3) Later in the morning, I went to our wellness center and stopped to talk to a friend. Stopped--and talked. More than the Hi, how are you today? in passing. Later, I swam my laps and decided not to count them. Instead, I pondered my blessings.

4) While picking up in the afternoon, I pulled a hymnal given as a confirmation gift from the bookshelf. Finding the Christmas hymn section, I opened it and placed it on the piano. I'll play the piano tomorrow when my husband is playing pool with his buddies.


God wants us to be busy.
He also wants us to rest,
be content, and trust
so we do not miss out
on what He is trying to
convey to us.


I encourage you, especially during Christmas when there is so much to do and the preparations are many, to just STOP whenever you can and connect with someone with more than a Hi, how are you? STOP and enjoy the lights on your tree when everyone else is asleep. STOP and watch the snowflakes drift to the earth. STOP and clear your head of the clutter . . .

God wants your heart, your mind, your soul.


That's why he came.



Dear Lord, When I feel hurried,
Amen.


give me peace.
When I am frustrated,
give me perspective.
When I am too busy
being busy, remind me
of your presence
and why you came.




No comments:

Post a Comment