Thursday, October 30, 2014

Happy Birthday



It's my birthday today, and I went to a funeral.
Although one might think there are better things to do on one's birthday, I have to disagree (at least for today).
We celebrate birthdays because we are celebrating life--another year to remember, another year to look forward to. Is it any different in death? .... memories galore and eternal life to look forward to.
Funerals have always helped me re-establish my priorities.
I find myself asking, why am I getting all tied up in knots over the little things in life when there is more ....
More of what, you may ask.
Think about what brings you peace and contentment, these are "more" things. It may be different for each of us, but we each do know what gives us a sense of what is good in life.
A dear friend gave me a plaque after my father's death. It reads...

Our family is a circle of strength and love;
founded on faith; joined in love;
 kept by God; forever together.

It could read.... My friends are a circle of strength and love; founded on faith; joined in love; kept by God; forever together.

Love God.
Love your brother.
Love your fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment