Monday, February 12, 2018

Treasures in Jars of Clay

But now, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8

I have come to believe that our greatest treasures are within our hearts, minds, and souls. Since retirement, I have more opportunities to reflect. It gives me pleasure to remember ....

-our children eating fried chicken in a shady park with only a swing or two and a merry-go-round
-two of our daughters playing on the same basketball team
-a picture of our son under a rainbow
-a long ride with our first child, as a two year old, to meet her great grandmother
-David's pride with his first horse
-a family vacation

I used to not want to go back. Now, I do. Not to change anything. I just want to be a silent observer of some of these times and hold them close to my heart.

Further back, there are other memories....
-Mom's special lemon meringue pie made on two occasions (their anniversary and Dad's birthday)
-the tree house where my brothers and I made a chimney and a fireplace and a second story
-the humongous snow pile designed by my father's imagination and a tractor with a loader
-walking into a house filled with love and the smell of supper every day after school
-a blonde-haired, blue-eyed bf from second grade to forever
-a memorable "I love you."

There are the more recent memories of the birth of each grand child--little miracles with incredible journeys ahead. These memories all kind of mesh together until it feels like it was someone else's life. Or, it was mine.... and now, I'm someone else.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with all these reflections. It seems that there is a reason my head is sometimes filled with them. There must be an explanation for not wanting to let them go. Perhaps they are all puzzle pieces and when all is said and done, the puzzle pieces will fit. Perfectly.

What lies behind us and what lies before us
 are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
RALPH WALDO EMERSON


No comments:

Post a Comment