Friday, January 4, 2013

Blog: Companionship?



A good friend of mine asked, 
"Why do you do it?  The blog, why?"

And, then--

"What is it really?"






She knew me well; she could ask me anything.  We had been best friends since second grade, celebrated birthdays together, washed eggs together in their farmhouse basement, and shared each others' deepest secrets.

She wanted to know, "Why?"

I had to think about it.

I finally mumbled, "My last publisher encouraged me to do it." (As if I needed an excuse to do it.)  And, then, "I tried it, and I like it."



It got me to thinking about blogging and what I did not know about it.  Knowing it would not be in my Webster's 7th New Collegiate Dictionary, 1965 edition--the one that got me through college--I looked it up anyway.  Noting that the word "blog" would have occurred between "blocky" and "bloke," I went to Merriam-Webster, on-line.  Learning it was a personal journal with comments, opinions and reflections, I was relieved, feeling that since I was "blogging," I was apparently on the right path.

Interesting to me was the fact that blogosphere 
was previous to blog and bloedpens followed.  
Blogosphere I could figure out.  Bloedpens?



Blogging?
I have enjoyed it.  I find it purposeful.

Walt Wangerin, Jr. in his last article in The Lutheran was asked a similar question from a friend.  "Isn't writng a lonely craft? . . . You sit alone in your room, staring at a blank computer screen."

Lonely?  Not really.

"By writing," Walt answered, "I am asking for companionship.  By reading the reader is answering, 'Yes.'"


Through my writing, I have an opportunity to companionship with you, the reader.  I want to share my thoughts and perceptions and hopefully give you something to think about.  You may agree or disagree.

However, when you read it, you are saying "yes"--let me read this.  Knowing this gives me purpose and encouragement.  When you read, I am connecting with you.  And, you are connecting with others--someone in California, Minnesota, Iowa, Alaska, Canada, Germany, or Spain is reading also.  It's the way of the Web.

I used to think I would run out of things to write about,
 but everywhere I turn, there are new ideas: 
A picture--rediscovered...trespassing?

Sisters:  last year's Christmas card....,
















a Bible study discussion, a child's smile, 
the way of the clouds, a new word (bloedpen) 
or an old word newly viewed (poppycock).



Stick with me.  
You'll hear about these and more.  
But more significantly, 
I will tie everything 
I write about into 
God.  
Why?

Catherine Marshall in 365 Devotions for Women writes, "Recently, I've been learning that life comes down to this:  God is in everything.  Regardless of what difficulties I am experiencing at the moment, or what things are not as I would like them to be, I look at the circumstances and say, "Lord what are you trying to teach me?"  

My blogs are intended to be inspirational and reflective. 

 Thank you for reading them.
*****

On another note:

If you enjoy fiction and like a book filled with intrigue along with a spiritual message, I encourage you to order my books by clicking on amazon.com or barnes&noble in the upper right hand corner of this blog.  

 

They are not perfectly written, but the stories are filled with suspense, intrigue and inspirational thoughts that will may cause you to reflect. 

You can take one on vacation, snuggle with one in a chair with a warm blanket and your favorite hot drink, or squeeze in a few pages on your commute with one at your side.  I will be your companion.

                             Wishing you God's blessing in the New Year.

For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor death, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  
     Romans 8:38, 39


The Christmas Elf?

 


Next blog:  New Year's resolutions?...
 or The Christmas Elf...

No comments:

Post a Comment