Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

Where are you going?

      This is really titled.......
"Where are you going?" 

Okay, it's January 13th, and yes, I am talking New Year's Resolutions.  Either you haven't made any or you've made some and have already broken them.
                                   Hmmmm.... Sound familiar?
It takes 21 days to make/break a habit...

If you're in-to-words, know that resolute means marked by firm determination.  Resolve means to declare or decide.  And, resolution is a determination.

New Year's Resolution, thanks to Wikipedia assistance, is a commitment to a personal goal, project or the reforming of a habit made at the beginning of  a year with a plan to carry it out for the entire year.

The idea of a New Year Resolution has religious origins:  the Babylonians made promises to their gods that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts, the Romans made promises to their god, Janus, for whom the month of January is named.  Christians have prepared for the year ahead by praying and making resolutions at "watchnight" services. 

Mom's Diary
Wanting a sense of more recent history,
I pulled out my mother's diary.
       I discovered:

January 1, 1955:  Left home at 8 a.m.  We all went to Carolyn's in Sioux City to watch the Rose Parade on TV.*  A nice warm day.  Gladys, Chuck and Jerry were there.  (Missed church.)
January 1, 1956:  Church and Sunday School.
January 1, 1957:  We all went to church.  Dad came out to watch Rose Parade and spent rest of day.**  I ironed all afternoon and washed eggs.
January 1, 1958:  Went to church and then to Art's for dinner.  Plautz's and Kaylen and Lorraine were there.  Lorraine got a diamond for Christmas.

*No TV in our home at this time.
**TV!

My mother was a daily and weekly list maker.
I checked the days before January 1 and the days following.   
           No record of any New Year's Resolution?

I pulled out my own diary.
This is what I discovered written on January 1 --on sporadic occasions.

1980: New Year's Resolutions?  I used to have a list of 5 - 10 and now I have trouble thinking of some.  There are a lot to be made, I guess, but I'm busier than ever and don't have time for reflection.
1987 Resolutions*
 

1987*  {See left.}  There was also mention of saving $100 a month for a college fund and plans of growing-out my hair. I'm  sure saving $100 a month was in no way sufficient; however, four children made it through college, and $100 a month was an indication of our income level.  I did grow my hair out--but that happened in 2012--over 20 years later.  Okay, some things take time.  I did read the Bible and have done so since.  Physical exercise?  On-going.

1991: I made some resolutions but don't have time to write them down. . .  Isaac has a cold, again.  Found out we'll be moving in the spring.**
**An indication of a somewhat scattered existence?  We didn't move in the spring, and at this time (2013), I have no idea where I thought we would be going.



Perhaps when talking about where are you going,
we need to establish where one has been and where one is now.


It's easy to feel secure all wrapped up in my tiny package
 and not venture out to try something new,
include someone new in my friendship group, or share what I have outside my comfort level.

***
A person all wrapped up in herself makes a very small package. 

***


 










Perhaps my resolutions made at the beginning of a 
new year have matured along with me.  
As I've grown older, I've become more 
comfortable with myself.  
I can stop kidding myself about who I am and 
embrace the me that evolved because life 
was not always easy, take that life,
and blossom in other ways. 



Resolutions could be divided into three areas:

Body
Mind
Spirit 

I am determined (God willing) to publish a book in 2013; 
I want to continue exercising;
I will read and study God's word daily.

So far, it's been all about ME.  

Stop.

I need another category:  
Others.


Remember:
A person all wrapped up in herself makes a very small package?



Luci Swindoll wrote, 
The proper perspective creates within us a spirit 
of reaching outside of ourselves with joy and enthusiasm.

James 1:27 reads...Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.


God wants us to take care of ourselves 
After all . . .
{We were created in his image.}
He also wants us to take care of others.


According to Wikipedea, less than 1/2 of Americans make resolutions.
Of those that do, close to 90% fail.
Telling?
Is it possible we're directing our attention or focus down the wrong path?
The "me" path?

Consider the other category in your resolution-making.
It may bring unexpected joy.


Dear Lord, 
the Christian life is a forever adventure--
may I, this year, 
share my zeal and blessings with others.  
 Amen

I will "journal" in 2013...may it be . . .









For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.     Ephesians 2:10





. . .more about others--less about me.
Next blog:
Poppycock!

No comments:

Post a Comment