Thursday, October 2, 2014

It's a Small World

When we use the phrase, "It's a small world...," we usually mean that we have come in contact with someone we know in an unexpected place. Or, we meet someone new who knows someone we already know.


Recently, I have thought of
"It's a small world" in another context.

While flying home from Houston, TX, I visited with my two seat partners. Norma, a grandmother, was flying to Minneapolis to meet her daughter. Norma came to American in 2007 from Liberia "to flee war and disease."

Max, a young man from Nigeria, was flying to Minneapolis for a bachelor party for his best buddy. Max, a student, played football for a small college in the Midwest.

I grew up on a farm in the Midwest in the 1950-60s--miles from everything--except neighboring farmers. We did not meet persons of a different race, color, language, or even dialect. As a child, I was not even aware of this--except for the Sunday School pamphlet proclaiming "Jesus loves the little children of the world" and showing yellow, red, black and white ... "we are precious in his sight."

As I child, if someone would have told me... someday you will fly in an airplane and sit with two people from Africa, I would have been speechless.

What does this have to do with anything?
I'm not sure...
I do know that I have a bit of an itch to reach out to others-- those persons from my past I haven't seen in a long time and those persons I have yet to meet.

We are all connected in some great, universal way.
We are one in the spirit; we are one in the Lord.
Someday, we will understand what we need to understand.
Meanwhile--
Love God.
Love one another.

Need a good read? Same Kind of Different as Me... by Ron Hall and Denver Moore


No comments:

Post a Comment