Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What If?

What if you lived your life in complete abandonment*, what would that look like for you?

*The word "abandonment" is not often used except in the case of neglect, casting away, leaving or deserting. The definition I believe the questioner desired was -- to yield oneself without restraint or moderation, to give oneself over to natural impulses.

The question intrigued me. What if? My first visions were of me walking along a sandy beach, waves tossed lightly about by the wind, and the sound of string instruments floating near by. It was lunch time. Grilled fish, fresh fruits and vegetables were waiting along with some delectable dark chocolate concoction. I would eat seaside--of course.

Next, I pictured myself visiting friends afar--Arizona, Colorado, California; my brother in New Mexico. I would attend a writer's conference or several. I would get a massage once a week, swim twice a week... and more...

But reality kicked in and I realized that if I did ALL this, my world-as-I-know-it now would probably collapse and, then, I'd have to deal with that. Not a good picture.

So, I scrapped the pretending until my mind fiddled a bit more with this idea of living in complete abandonment. Okay, I can't seem to get swimming in twice a week, but I will squeeze it in whenever I can and not feel badly because I have no routine with my exercise. I can start wearing funky clothes if I really want to. After all, family and friends will get used to it.

Yes, I can do some of these things. But, in my heart-of-hearts, I know that none of this matters unless I'm connected to our Creator God who has a plan for each of us. Just maybe living in complete abandonment would mean shouting out praises of joy wherever you are and whenever you feel like it.

 I leave you with the verse from Jeremiah 29:
 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Pray. Give praise. Always. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment