Monday, December 7, 2015

The Wise Old Owl...



While taking out recyclables early one morning, I heard hoot-hoot. Since ancient times, the owl has been considered wise. Science, however, has discovered that compared to other bird brains, its brain is relatively small.

I'm wondering if the owl wasn't considered wise, because his eyes focused on what was ahead of him at all times, and because of his focus, he really didn't have a lot to say.

I start out morning devotions with, May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my Rock and Redeemer. Even though I say this meditation from Psalm 19:14, I often slip and even though my mind and heart say "stop!"--my mouth keeps running.

I don't really want to be a bird brain,
but it seems I could learn something from the owl:
....say less, listen more.
 
        
      
This morning, I happened upon Ecclesiastes 5:1-2... Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.

No comments:

Post a Comment