Monday, May 2, 2016

I Need to Wash My Hair

"I need to wash my hair..."

If you’re close to my age, you know that this phrase had two meanings. 1) My hair feels icky. 2) I don’t want to go out with you.  In the olden days, if a boy asked you out, and you weren’t interested in spending time with him, you could say, “Sorry. I need to wash my hair.” 

He believed one of two things: 1) Your hair is not cool. 2) You do not want to go out with him. If he asked you out on another night, you might have to tell the truth, as in, “No thank you.” His self-esteem might wither, or maybe he was relieved as it was his mother’s idea to “find a nice girl friend.”

Excuses are abundant in every area of life, and the language changes as times do. “I’m having my nails done” would work as an excuse today but probably would not have two or three decades ago, especially if you lived in the Midwest, and your parents were farmers.

One of the most-known Bible excuses came from Adam who said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

Yes, Eve ate. Adam ate, the rest is history, and we’re living it. 
I feel badly after I make an excuse for anything. I need to just give a reason, an honest reason. Hopefully, when it comes to God, I need no excuses. I can be completely open and honest. He already knows everything about me, so who am I kidding? Not even me….


No comments:

Post a Comment