Sunday, March 26, 2017

Which Face Are You Wearing?

Dr. Henrietta Mears wrote that everyone has four faces--

1) The one the world knows

2) The one our friends know

3) The one we know ourselves

4) The one God knows
 
Lent is a period of penitence and fasting observed on the forty weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter in Christian churches. For some, it offers time for additional reflection into our personal and spiritual selves....as we consider who we really are.

We each have times when we are over-whelmed, exhausted, mistreated or feel we are living without purpose--nothing is happening or too much is happening.  What difference does it make?  Sometimes, we adorn masks, a facade, so nobody knows who we really are or how we are really feeling. We can kid others; we can even fool ourselves.

But God always knows.

We are often troubled, but not crushed;
sometimes in doubt, but never in despair;
there are many enemies, but we are never without a friend;
and though badly hurt at times,
we are not destroyed.
At all times we carry in our mortal bodies
the death of Jesus,
so that his life may also be seen in our bodies.
2 Corinthians 4: 8-10

With God, there is always hope.
We are always being made new because of Jesus, the Christ.

***

Leo Buscaglia wrote. . .
     Starting each day I promise myself not to try to solve all my life's problems all at once . . .
     Starting each day I will try to learn something new about me and about you so that I may continue to experience all things as if they had just been newly born.
     Starting each day I shall listen to you and try to see your point of view and to discover the least threatening way to offer you mine, remembering that wherever we are now we need not be there tomorrow.
     Starting each day I shall seek out the beautiful things that fill our world like flowers and blades of grass and dew drops on leaves, and people, and faces, and share my new-found beauty with you.
     Starting each day I shall reach out and touch you gently with my mind, my eyes, and with my hands, for I don't want to miss you.
***
 
 

Everyone has four faces--

1) The one the world knows

2) The one our friends know

3) The one we know ourselves

4) The one God knows...

... and isn't it wonderful that..
 
...And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment