Monday, January 15, 2018

A Long Ago Wedding and a New Discovering

My parents married January 13, 1946. I have always loved this picture, and, of course, focused on my mother's dress she made, my father's stylish suit, and the so-young look.

As I sit inside my house on this -10 degree day in the Midwest, I am reminded of how different a January day can be. My parents are outside, without coats.


It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I dug the picture out of a shoe box that I studied it more carefully--including Grandpa Harry's car, his house behind them, and noticed the figure framed by the kitchen window. Who was that?

I had heard that it was a very small wedding--just parents, a maid of honor, a best man, so I asked my oldest brother... who knows more of our family stories than anyone.

Well, Grandpa Harry was a widower.
The neighbor lady across the street had always had an interest in him.
She had not been invited to the wedding.
However, she did let herself in the front door porch, walked to the kitchen, and wondered where everyone was--
You can see her shading her eyes to get a good look.

I never met this lady, but hearing this story, I hope that eventually, Grandpa Harry asked her to take a walk, play a game of checkers, or sit on his front porch to share a story or two.

It reminds me of the importance of relationships at any age.



No comments:

Post a Comment