Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Morning Walk, Ancient Paths, and Peace








I couldn't help but think of the Bible verse . .


Stand by the roads and look and ask for the ancient paths
where the good way is
and walk in it
and find rest for your souls . . .

     when I studied the sign.

 
I thought about the phrases
"minimum maintenance,"
and "road not plowed,"
and although the road was not an ancient path,
the sign enticed me.





Should I take the
enter at your own risk
road or stick to my
usual morning route?



I studied the country trees tunneling the road and the occasional wild roses
highlighting the ditch grass.



Joyce Rupp's
Deep is calling into deep.
Stop standing before the dark, empty cave.
Take a step. Let go. Walk in.
Just like the seed must fall into the dark,
deep black soil,
so must I enter into the darkness,
go where there is mystery.






Startling me but without a sound,
two deer sprung from one side of the road to another
and disappeared into a drying cornfield.


Black-eyed Susans stretched toward the eastern horizon.




As the gravel grunched beneath my footsteps,
I took one step after another
and noticed ordinary beauty.










Breathing in morning coolness, I quickened my pace and
Leaving the cemetery, ancient paths, rest for your soul. . . thoughts lingered.
approached an aged cemetery. Unhooking the rusted wire that held the gate shut, I wandered among the burial stones with names and dates from decades past faded by sunlight, wind, time.















Fifty or more steps further, I stood at the
edge of the ditch to view a large stone
with a crown of fall-colored, wild flowers.

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me. . .
Matthew 11:28 +









And even further...
a rock pile of huge proportions
landscaped by clipped grass
and cornfields . . .










As I walked an incline and looked ahead,
I delighted in how the fog blanketed the dips in the road.
A covey of blackbirds--big and noisy--
called out their day's agenda.



Reaching the end of the mile, I turned to
retrace my steps
to be greeted by sunrise--
eagerly seeking the horizon.
Filled with joy,
I felt like a child.

Then my soul will rejoice in the Lord and delight in his salvation.
Psalm 35:9





Being touched by His
creation welcoming me to a new day,
I remembered God's promise given
thousands of years ago:

The way of salvation has been marked since the beginning of times.
Deuteronomy 32:7


You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with you in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16:11


Donna Carter in her book, 10 Smart Things Women Can Do To Build A Better Life, recommends that we live generously, offload stress, and grasp grace. Perhaps one of the easiest ways to accomplish these things is to

Be still and know that I am God.



Take a different route today.

Expect unexpected blessings.



Thou dost keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee.
Isaiah 26: 3



No comments:

Post a Comment