Sunday, November 23, 2014

Extravagant? Perhaps so....

One doesn't have to be wealthy to be extravagant....

During breakfast, I flipped on TV to see "Beautiful Homes and Great Estates." I was fascinated and appalled. The master bedroom had more square feet than our entire house. Shoes, clothing, and jewelry filled room-size closets. I considered that, even though I was "fascinated," I could not live comfortably in such a house with multiple fireplaces, bathrooms, and waterfalls.
At times, I've considered myself frugal, a minimalist knowing that things do not bring me happiness. However, I looked at my breakfast and reconsidered the word extravagant.
My meal contained eight different items: coffee, grapes, carrots, salmon, multi-grain bread, almond butter, kale, and oatmeal (with wheat germ, flax, cinnamon, dried blueberries, walnuts) topped with almond milk--which brings the total to 14 different food items.

Excessive? Extravagant? Seemingly so when there are persons who eat rice three times a day. And, we're not talking "Survivor."

Still curious about my frugal life, I counted the number of items used in my getting-ready-for-the-day routine. Let's see, there was toothpaste, floss, mouth wash, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, body lotion. Okay... I'm forgetting the makeup today.

Something to consider-- Jesus tells us to care for widows, orphans, the poor. Although my food items are keeping me healthy and my getting-ready-for-the-day items are keeping me easier to look at and be with, I need to re-consider how I use my resources.

Christmas or Thanksgiving roast chicken turkey.  Close up Royalty Free Stock Photography

It's Thanksgiving week. Let us each be thankful for our many blessings and with joy give to others freely who are in need. .... and always, always give praise and glory to our Creator God, the greatest giver of all times.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment