Thursday, June 30, 2016

Awed by Nature

Marija Andric writes in "Country" magazine about the first time she was truly awed by nature. She was a fourth grader standing on the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.

I have been to the Grand Canyon as an adult and was truly awed. Only the God of the Universe could create something like this.

However, thinking back to the FIRST time I was awed by nature happened when I was in 7th grade. We lived on a farm set a quarter of a mile back from the main gravel road. In the heat of a summer night, I left the house, moved away from the trees hovering our farm, and started walking. Sounds from our black and white television and the spinning of fans positioned in the windows eventually died out as I took step after step into an ink-spilled night. The night breeze beyond the grove cooled my skin, and I felt energized and a little scared. I had never ventured down the lane at night by myself.

At the end of the lane, I found a soft spot in the ditch, placed my arms behind my head, and lay down. Immediately amazed, I could not believe how expansive the heavens were and how majestic the stars and planets were displayed. Feeling like I was in another world, I breathed deeply and thanked God for creating all of this seemingly just for me on this very night. I was alone but not lonely. I was free; I felt love.

My friend, Dorcas, used to say that if anyone was having a not-so-good-day, all they needed to do was to look up. Sunrise, sunset, in the deep of night, in the middle of the day--look up! There's much to see; much to feel. God created it for you. Feel the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment