Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Bucket List


When one thinks of a “bucket list,” a person might consider a special trip or cruise, a new experience (like zip-lining), or an opportunity to meet someone special (a movie star, a professional athlete, or someone from your past).

Old and very worn shirt...
My bucket list is in my head and may change from week to week. However, one of the things on the list included designing a top that was similar to one of my oh-so-favorites tops—which is now only wearable when doing garden or yard work.
Because I hated to give it up and because I could not find anything like it to replace it, I bought some material and drew up a pattern using my old shirt. I could not find any similar material, so bought something completely different in colors I liked (earth-tones). I like the longer tops with flared bottoms now in style, so I dug out shear curtain material from my sewing chest with intentions of making the bottom part of my shirt into something “fun.”

Today, I checked this project off my bucket list. Am I proud of it? No. It will hang in my closet; I may never wear it. If I do wear it, I expect the best compliment I will receive is, “Interesting…” My husband will look at me and since we’ve been married for over 45 years, I will read his mind when it says, “You’re not wearing that are you?”

New but wearable?
I think I’ll wear it to my writer’s group. They already know I’m a little peculiar.
When searching the internet on “bucket lists,” I found The Christian Bucket List: 50 Things To Do Before Heaven, by Joe McKeever. Big items on the list included: visit the Holy Land, memorize an entire chapter of the Bible. Some of the easier-to-do items included: join a choir, learn to pray better, become a person of good humor and frequent laughter, find someone from your past and apologize, tell everyone you love that you love them, plant some flowers or a tree, get saved.

 
Most of these things are simpler than designing and putting together a shirt. I’d speculate that I will also get a lot more personal satisfaction from any one of them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment