Saturday, September 3, 2016

Pot Luck: Friends and Food


I’m not sure the younger generation is even familiar with the term, "pot-luck.”  We don’t do a lot of it anymore; it’s easier to eat-out, order-in, or pull something prepared from the freezer.
I googled the term to read, ...a situation in which one must take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable.  Also—a meal or party to which each of the guests contribute a dish.

Note the blessing of a double-yoke egg...
Recently, I experienced a spontaneous pot-luck that was one of the most enjoyable and healthiest meals I’ve eaten in some time. A friend emailed with, “Come to my house, bring what you have, we’ll do potluck.”

I went to the refrigerator and pulled out a peach and tomato. I tossed together some kale, onion, cranberries, and nuts for a salad. I arrived at her house with my goodies. She provided a salad blessed with hard-boiled eggs and other veggies, cottage cheese, warm sweet potato, a sliver of salmon, and warm, mixed vegetables. A few pretzels added crunch and a little salt.
Her friend from another state and a long-ago time joined us. We ate, commented on the freshness of the food, spoke of connections and memories. Yes, whatever was available (including companionship and food) was good and acceptable. We felt blessed.
One of us commented, “eating out is over-rated.” That day, eating-in and pot-lucking was a joy. Most of the time, it seems that it is the simple things in life that bring us the most joy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment