Friday, October 7, 2016

Lesson From an Apple Tree


Note the hold in the base of the tree....
When visiting a friend’s farm recently, we ventured in and out of farm buildings, noted the fields glowing with golden corn stalks, and came upon several apple trees. One was especially intriguing. Not because of its beauty or the ample apples it provided, but because of its age and decrepitude.
Its branches were twisted and ancient. It’s core was partly missing. Disabled? Too old to bare fruit? Below it rested dozens of apples. It’s branches were blessed with many more. I had a feeling that the apple tree’s roots had something to do with its ability to bear fruit and the over-all appearance of strength, in spite of the large gap in its core.

I brought several home and made an apple pie....

I think there’s a lesson, here. I may be old (or getting there). I may be disabled in some way: bad hip, poor memory, hurt heart. But, one is never too anything to not bear fruit. Good fruit!
John 15: 8 tells us, By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

Sometimes, I think I'm too weary to be purposeful. The apple tree, in all its glory, showed me there is a different way to think.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment