Sunday, February 12, 2017

I Didn't Want to Go to Hell...

I grew up in the era that if one went to a Christian or Catholic church, the minister talked of hell and the possibility of going there.

Not wanting to go to hell kept me in line in lots of way.

If something was "fun," it was very possible it was not a good thing.

In fact, my confirmation verse, from 1 Peter 5:8, Be sober, be vigilant, your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour... reminded me of this.

Once upon a time, my parents took a vacation with my younger brothers, and left my one-year-older-than-me-brother and I at home to do the chores, etc.  My older brother, who apparently had a different confirmation verse than mine, took the liberty to have a party out on our front lawn on that Friday summer night drinking stuff out of brown bottles. I looked apprehensively from the kitchen window the entire time--certain that roaring lion was out there and ready to devour us. Him, for planning it. Me, for allowing it to happen.

On another occasion, a friend picked me up, and we drove to a drive-in theater. The car was full of girls. Some decided to hide in the trunk so they would not have to pay to get in.... again, I imagined that roaring line pouncing on the car and devouring us all

I must admit that I am not afraid of going to hell anymore and haven't been for some time.
I am assured that I will not and, believe me, it's not because of anything that I have done, or not done. It's not because of who I was or who I am turning out to be.
I am assured of heaven because of who God is.

No doubt, big brother (and all the little bros) and I will have a lot to talk about in heaven some day.
  
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it. No lion will be there, nor any ravenous beast; they will not be found there...Gladness and joy will overtake them; and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Isaiah 35:8-10












Wishing you happy thoughts this week as you continue your journey...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment