Thursday, July 13, 2017

Doing Laundry in Heaven?

I'm going from fireworks (last week's blog) to doing laundry. The only segue I have is to know that while I'm doing this laundry or any other mundane chore that arises, the heavenly places are also busy. After all, Genesis 1:1 reads, God created the heavens and the earth. Should the heavens be any less busy than the earth?

I was not thinking of "heavenly places" while I hung out cloth diapers on a summer day on the farm where I grew up--the second oldest, the only girl with five brothers. I was probably thinking about riding my bike down the lane and back, setting up my space in our tree house, or sneaking berries from the garden.

This morning, some 55+ years later, as I pull warm clothing from the dryer, I am thinking of my mother and how we did laundry. It was a process that took up an entire day and, yes, usually done on a Monday.

A large "dirty-clothes-bag" hung from our bathroom closet to the damp basement below. My brothers used it as a punching bag when full.

I looked forward to unzipping the bag and letting a mountain of dirty clothes tumble to the basement floor. I also took pride in sorting according to color and textures while the ringer-washer filled with hot water and suds....

The diapers were often soaked in a bleach solution before being run through the hot cycle of the washing machine. On a hot summer day, by the time I finished hanging the last diaper, the first diaper was dry and ready to be returned to the house so the clothes line could be used for the darker chore clothes.

There was a certain amount of satisfaction in these menial chores: clothes drying in a gentle wind with sunlight gleaming. A stack of fresh towels still smelling of sunshine and country air.  ... Life was certainly less complicated.

Sometimes, I want to go back--maybe just for an hour or two, here and there, so that I can better remember....


I have no idea what heaven will be like; however, I don't believe there will be clothes lines or clothes dryers. Perhaps, fresh berries in multi-colors, a treehouse just for me, a long bike ride down a shaded lane? --and more than we can ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment