Sunday, September 30, 2018

Run of the House

Many years ago I operated a daycare out of our home. It was one of the most difficult jobs I ever had; it was also one of the most rewarding in that I developed both perseverance and loving characteristics that may have needed developing.

During these years we lived in a modest house in town and, then, moved to a larger house on an acreage with a huge lawn. In both homes, the kids pretty much had the run of the house. I was asked by several visitors, "Why do you let them do that?" Upstairs, downstairs, family room, living room, kitchen floor, our son's bedroom, a closet or two, inside and out...

I felt that the children should have the freedom to play what they wanted, where they wanted--with boundaries, of course, and a definite routine--rest time after lunch being one of my favorites. Keeping them to one room would have eased my job but prevented their independence and learning experiences.

I couldn't help but remember my day-care experiences when I read this morning's Bible verse: Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other... And cultivate thankfulness. Let the Word of Christ--the Message--have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives... Colossians 3: 16+ [MSG]*

This verse is actually liberating, unfettering, unshackling....
Let Christ live IN YOU (you are the house) and be a part of every experience you have, every person you meet. Where you go, He goes, hand-in-hand. He's your guide, your friend, He's IN YOU. Let it happen. Let Him have the run of your house.






*MSG is the Bible in contemporary language created by Eugene Peterson, published in segments from 1993-2002, translated from the original languages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment