Friday, April 5, 2019

Journalism 101, 1967

Ten to fifteen of us assembled in a forgotten classroom, in a declining building on a small college campus, 1967, for Journalism 101. The professor was aged, white beard touching his top shirt button, his hair wispy and untamed. The floorboards creaked; I found a seat in the middle of everyone else and blended. I hoped for an easy class.

After the first session, I was hooked on the way of words: using them to evoke emotions, convey nuances. Learning that word order within the sentence makes a difference. Knowing that sometimes less is more. Striking verbs, using magical adjectives, and understanding the reality of an unworthy adverb.

Within a short time, I had poetry published in the college periodical and a national anthology. It was a humbling and vulnerable awakening as I was putting words on paper with my name below. It kind of said: this is me.

Finding a job, starting a teaching career, getting married, running a household, and both overwhelmed and overjoyed with the births of four children, the creativity was put on hold. In fact, I never even thought of writing.

However, I was in to reading and often thought: I can write a better book than this. Forty years after the Journalism 101 class, I sat down at my Gateway and let my fingers fly. Ten pages, twenty pages, thirty pages, and then a roadblock.

Dear God, If I'm to write a book, I need some help. I remember the prayer offered somewhat facetiously, but nevertheless, uttered. After the prayer, I never knew what twists and turns the story-line would take; it just came to me every time I sat down to type. There was no master plan, but it fell into place.

It's been almost ten years since that first book came out and it's been a journey of learning and living, living and learning--about lots of things--not just writing, editing, publishing, marketing. But living and life.

This last book, SUMMONED, available soon, is an anthology consisting of a novelette and several other shorter narratives. Most are inspired by true stories. This is where the living comes in or we could just say life happens.

Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment