Thursday, January 30, 2014

Love Letters--from the past....

February is Valentines' month,
so the word "love" comes up
more often perhaps than on any other month....
The following are love letters--
but probably not what you are thinking of...







September, 1974

Dear Kara Kristin,

Your mommy and daddy are going through a very special period of their lives--watching their first little baby grow and change each day. Because you are not old enough to understand how precious you are to us, Mommy is writing this letter so that you can read it when you are older. Your cheeks are rosy pink and your bright blue eyes are a wonder . . .




Kara, at 6 - 8 months



October, 1978

Dear Rachel Kathleen,

Your first year has passed quickly. It seems impossible that in a year's time you could be walking all over, all the time, wanting to be independent, bringing books to us to read to you, enjoying big sister's antics . . . You have brought us a whole new world of joy and happiness and are your own little person . . .

Rachel -- just over 1 year old


March, 1980

Dear Jennifer Susanne,

A whole year of life with Jenny has passed at an incredible pace . . . You have eight teeth, say "bye-bye" and go after your snow-suit with zeal when the word "outside" is mentioned. You are a content baby who has filled our lives with happiness, fun and love. When Dad comes home you stretch out your arms and coax him to pick you up . . .



Jennifer--just over 1 year old







And, then, there were three.




October, 1984

Dear Isaac David,

Although you were named Isaac David after your dad and great grandfather, Mom refers to you as "man-child." You were bigger than the other babies in the hospital and more handsome. You don't cry easily, have big blue eyes, and pearly white teeth. I noticed the other day, however, that one of those little baby teeth has a chip. When it happened, I do not know . . .


Isaac--just over 1 year old

I wrote letters to our children as they were growing up--one a year as near to their birthdays as I could get. What they liked to eat, who their friends were, favorite classes in school, special occasions were included in a yearly letter, carefully folded, and inserted into an envelope with their name and date on the front.




In spite of the smiles on their faces, our children were not always happy children. Their mother was not always happy with them or for them.



But they were loved unconditionally,
and we thanked God each day
for the gift of each child.


Living is not easy.
Knowing that you are
loved makes it easier.










Over twenty years later, I tied ribbons around four letter packets--one packet for each child. Each packet contained eighteen "birthday" letters with stories from the past. They were delivered with the hope that childhood memories would come to life and that each child would remember anew how precious they were and are.



There was yet another letter in the packet--making it nineteen, instead of eighteen. A letter from Jesus. I discovered it in World Literature Crusade, typed it, and included in the letter packet for each child. It's a love letter as each of mine was.

It's a letter for you, too.


Dear Friend,

How are you? I just had to send you this letter to tell you how much I love and care about you. I saw you yesterday as you were walking with your friends. I waited all day long, hoping you would talk to Me, also. As evening drew near, I gave you a sunset to close your day and a cool breeze to rest you, and I waited . . .

I saw you fall asleep last night, and I longed to touch your brow, so I spilled moonlight upon your pillow and face. Again, I waited, wanting to rush down so we could talk. I have so many gifts for you.

You awakened late and rushed off for the day. You looked so sad, so alone. It makes my heart ache because I understand. I try to tell you in the quiet green grass; I whisper it in the leaves and trees, breathe it in the colors of the flowers. I shout it to you in the mountain streams, and give the birds love songs to sing. I clothe you with sunshine and perfume the air. My love for you is deeper than oceans and bigger than the biggest want or need you have.

We will spend eternity together in heaven. I know how hard it is on this earth. I really know because I was there, and I want to help you. My Father wants to help you, too. He's that way, you know. Just call Me, ask Me, talk to Me; it is your decision. I have chosen you, and because of this, I will wait. . . Because I love you.

Jesus




If you want to read more
about God's love for you,
read scripture.
DAILY.
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105




Psalm 19: 7 reads "The teaching of the Lord is perfect and revives the soul.. . "



If we neglect the Bible, we can not
expect to benefit from the wisdom
and direction that result from
knowing God's word.
Vonette Bright




Heavenly Father, You loved me before I was born; You sent your Son Jesus Christ to redeem me from my sins. You have given me the gift of eternal life. I praise you for the gift of life. May I be worthy to serve you. May I reflect your love to others.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment