Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Other Side

My mother, Marjorie, passed away four years ago of a rare cancer.
She and Dad had been married for over 60 years.
Dad moved into assistive living and eventually into the nursing home.
Their wedding anniversary would have been January 13th.
I wrote this poem with thoughts of them.




Marjorie, my mother...
The Other Side

Studying the family portrait on your apartment wall
You eventually slip on your jacket
Shuffle to the checkout desk
Scrawl your name beside the time
And venture out into the sunshine.
Putzing off in your bright red scooter
We watch the birds scatter
And wild grasses bend with the wind
As I sail behind you.
At the cemetery you find my spot
Finger the still fresh flowers
And wipe your eyes with the red hanky from your back pocket.
I stay beside you as you hobble back to the scooter
And watch for traffic as you return to your new home,
Sit on the worn couch
Take a deep breath
and fall asleep.
I watch the rise and fall of your chest
and hold your hand.



Dad and Mom with their children at Dad's 90th birthday party.


 
 
Dad will be 99 in March.
Another story.....
 
 
 
 For if we live, we live to the Lord,
and if we die, we die to the Lord.
So then, whether we live
or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. 
      Romans 14:8


 


No comments:

Post a Comment