Saturday, August 20, 2016

Cleanliness next to Godliness.....


Elizabeth I bothered to take a bath only once a month. As a child, Louis XIII was not bathed until he was seven years old. Excuse me for comparing myself to the likes of Elizabeth I and Louis XIII, but during my growing-up years on a farm with occasional shortages of water, we took a bath but once a week and shared the water. Perhaps this “shared” water was why my mother was still cleaning out our ears with her white handkerchief as we sat in church on Sunday mornings.

 During Liz and Louis’ time, it was believed that clogging ones pores with dirt and oil protected one from disease. “Bathing fills the head with vapors,” a French doctor advised in 1655. “It is the enemy of the nerves…” This whole hygiene attitude didn’t shift until the early 19th century.
I do not even want to count how many personal hygiene products I have in our house. Numerous…. Think about the germ-free gels offered at airports, restaurants, and other public spots—not to mention the fact that they are stationed in every hospital room and doctor’s office appointment room. We have learned that germs are spread through dirt and not vapors. We have also concluded that one looks better and feels better when clean.
 
If you wonder where “Cleanliness is next to Godliness” came from, check out Leviticus 15, and you’ll learn more than you probably want to know concerning physical cleanliness.
Spiritual cleanliness and Godliness? That’s another whole topic having to do with my heart, my soul, and the spirit within me that God designed. No toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc. needed. Just me and God.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment