Thursday, January 12, 2017

Season's Greetings and An Un-needed Time Machine

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
Although the time to send "Season's Greetings" is past, let's take a look at Ecclesiastes 3. There is talk of being born, death, planting, harvesting, crying, laughing, mourning, dancing, speaking, keeping silent, loving and hating. And, ends with I have seen the business that God has given to the sons of men to be busy with. He has made everything beautiful in its time . . . Ecclesiastes 3: 1 - 11

My parents are both gone; I've lost a friend or two; I know about dying. I grew up on a farm and live in a rural area; I know about planting and harvesting. I like to dance when I feel happy; I cried this morning.... I like quiet; sometimes I say too much. Unfortunately, I've experienced hate, although I try not to. And I feel incredibly blessed and loved when the grace of God flows through me. Seasons? We don't have to wait for spring, summer, fall, and winter to experience "seasons," sometimes, they all occur in one day.

When our children were little, there were the joys and sorrows that come from raising children and the stresses of going to work each day and keeping a household running as smoothly as possible. I don't want to do it over again. It was challenging and rewarding the first time. However, every once in a while, I want to go back for part of a day and watch the children get off the bus at the end of the lane and run to the house, go to one more ballgame, give each a goodnight kiss, attend one more graduation. But, we have no time machines.

If we had a time-machine at our disposal, we could also go forward. The political arena, social changes, technology, space travel, family changes. What seemed so foreign yesterday, becomes real life in our futures. Some scary, some incredible.

Much changes. Seasons come and go. We don't understand much of it.

There is only one unchangeable: God's love for us and the fact that he sent his son as a baby to earth to make redemption possible. We don't need a time machine. We have Scripture to tell us what God did for us and what He wants us to do for Him. So, we don't need to go back.... We also don't need a time machine to go forward--we're already headed there because of God's eternal promises. Just, hang in there.

Whatever your stage or place in life is at this moment,
 stay strong,
believe in God's purpose and then, continue. 
Endure.
...Everything will be beautiful in it's time.
 
Season's greetings.

What gain has the worker from his toil?  I have seen the business that god has given to the sons of men to be busy with.  He has made everything beautiful in its time . . . Ecclesiastes 3: 11

https://youtu.be/1llIIhBMCjU

No comments:

Post a Comment