Sunday, January 29, 2017

Retirement? Eat my dust....

Beginning retirement.....
It arrived in the Mail--"Social Security--What You Need To Know. . . "
And, somewhat later--"Welcome to Medicare" and "Medicare Basics."

.... Well that was several years ago, and we're still figuring out  what we need to know about spending our retirement days.

.... Since retirement, I can't do much of anything without my glasses, my hair is more gray...we have moved off an acreage, adjusted to life in a small community, and last week, for the first time, we played cards at a senior citizen center. Oh my goodness, I thought I would wait until I was 80 to do this.... and there I was. 

At 48 years of age (over 20 years ago), I tore this full page advertisement out of a magazine and attached it to the refrigerator with a magnet.  I was still busy with my children's school activities and work, but I had visions of Father Time "eating my dust."


YOU WANTED TO SEE THE WORLD...
BUT AT 8, YOU COULD NOT LEAVE THE YARD...
AT 16, YOU HAD NO CAR...
AT 21, YOU HAD NO MONEY...
AT 34, YOU HAD NO BABYSITTER...
AT 54, FATHER TIME TELLS YOU IT'S TOO LATE....
AND YOU TELL HIM TO EAT YOUR DUST...
     1995 ad for GinkGold

 
Well, Father Time is not exactly eating my dust, as I'm not running anywhere-- because I don't want to hurt myself. Okay, I'll ride an exercise bike and swim, but don't ask me to run.






HOWEVER, Did you know....

 ... that Daniel was 90 years old when he was sent to the lion's den?
At 100, Grandma Moses was painting.
At 93, George Bernard Shaw wrote Farfetched Fables.
At 89, Albert Schweitzer headed a hospital in Africa.
At 82, Winston Churchill wrote a History of English Speaking People.
At 80, George Burns won an Academy Award for his performance in The Sunshine Boys.

Look around your community.  
Retirees are leading Bible studies, 
working for food banks,
volunteering at Habitat for Humanity, 
staying active with their grandchildren's lives 
and making a difference in many ways.
 
 

 Even though we are the generation who knew about Studebakers, wash tub ringers, metal ice trays with levers, 45 RPM records, Howdy Doody, and other odd and curious things, we have a lot to offer. You don't have to "run" when you tell Father Time to "eat your dust." Simply, figure out your passion and go for it. And, if you don't know what your passion is, just keep busy....there are others out there who need you.

 

Dear Lord, 
No matter what my age
or circumstances,
let me accept the grace and peace
that You offer on a daily basis.
Give me a renewed sense of energy
and help me not to be afraid of
trying new things.
You are the giver of all things good, and
You provide peace when I trust your promises.  

                                                 Amen  
 

 

     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment