Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Why Do I Blog?

A good friend of mine asked, "Why do you do it? The blog, why?" And, then--

"What is it really?"

She knew me well; she could ask me anything.  We had been best friends since second grade, celebrated birthdays at each other's house, washed eggs together in their farmhouse basement, and shared each others' deepest secrets.

She wanted to know, "Why?"

I had to think about it.

I finally mumbled, "My publisher encouraged me to do it." As if I needed an excuse to do it. 

It got me to thinking about blogging and what I did not know about it.  Knowing it would not be in my Webster's 7th New Collegiate Dictionary, 1965 edition--the one that got me through college--I went to Merriam-Webster, on-line. Learning it was a personal journal with comments, opinions and reflections, I was relieved; I was apparently on the right path.

Walt Wangerin, Jr. in his last article in The Lutheran was asked a similar question from a friend.  "Isn't writing a lonely craft? . . . You sit alone in your room, staring at a blank computer screen."


Lonely?  Not really.
"By writing," Walt answered, "I am asking for companionship. By reading, the reader is answering, 'Yes.'"

Through my writing, I share my thoughts and perceptions and hopefully give you something to think about. You may agree or disagree.

When you read, I am connecting with you. And, your thoughts are connecting with others--someone in California, Minnesota, Iowa, Alaska, Canada, Germany, or Spain is reading also.  It's the way of the Web.

I used to think I would run out of things to write about, but everywhere I turn, there are new ideas...

 
But more significantly, 
I will tie everything 
I write about into 
God.

Catherine Marshall in 365 Devotions for Women writes, "Recently, I've been learning that life comes down to this:  God is in everything.  Regardless of what difficulties I am experiencing at the moment, or what things are not as I would like them to be, I look at the circumstances and say, "Lord what are you trying to teach me?"  

My blogs are intended to be inspirational and reflective. 

 Thank you for reading them.
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment