Friday, March 18, 2016

LOST? .... get out your road map.



... just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.-- 2 Corinthians 11:3

As a child, I went to church every Sunday. My father also lead our family devotions each night after supper, except for Sunday nights when we pulled out the metal trays and fixed cold meat sandwiches on white Wonder bread and a cup of hot tea.
A woman stands along side a remote deserted road reading a map. Stock Photo - 8622554
I was encouraged to read the Bible and so I tried. It was hard. Much later, as a young mother, I would arise early in the morning, and read a devotional along with a scripture verse or two.

Now, as a retired person who has discovered a yearning to write, I find that I need and love scripture. If I am gone for a period of time and don't take my Bible study stack of materials with me, there is an empty spot in my existence.

Having said all this-- even the purely devoted (you, me, or ___) are Satan's material. My chosen confirmation verse was 1 Peter 5:8-- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

Looking back, I don't honestly think I really understood what this meant. As a 14 year old, living on a farm miles away from everything and everyone, what could I know of adversaries, vigilance, etc.? However, life happens and as we age, we are aware of adversaries, vigilance and more.

He, the adversary, is out there, and without a roadmap, I would be lost. How can the Bible prevent one from being lost? The Bible is about you, the Bible is about me... It is about God's plan for ALL people. It tells people who God is and what He has done for them/us. It also tells what God wishes for people to do for Him,
Ram Dass stated simply, We're all just walking each other home.
Although our life journeys vary, we're each headed to an eternity of some kind. I don't want to get LOST along the way.There's an ap on my phone that says "home." If I get lost, I can simply tap "home" and directions will be given. We have a heavenly home. Getting there is not as easy as pressing my phone ap; however...
 the Bible is my road map
and I need to check it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment