Thursday, March 3, 2016

You Don't Own Me

In 1963, Lesley Gore recorded a best-seller hit, "You Don't Own Me."

You don't own me
I'm not just one of your many toys
You don't own me
Don't say I can't go with other boys
And don't tell me what to do
And don't tell me what to say
And, please, when I go out with you
Don't put me on display...

After studying Beth Moore's Bible study on "My Inheritance," I'd like to share a few of her thoughts on ownership:
*The more possessive a person becomes, the more the other person wants to run for her ever-livin' life.
*Possessiveness stems from insecurity.
*When someone takes ownership over us, we become reluctant to draw close. (Intimacy is destroyed.)
*You will never become fully who God set apart in your life to be if you feel "possessed" by someone.
*Only God owns you and there is no dark side.
*We were created to be free.

Gore's song ends with "I'm free and I love to be free, to live my life the way I want, to say and do whatever I please."

Hopefully, we will "please" to live our life "free" in Christ.
Because, in all actuality, that is the only real freedom anyone can attain.
So whether you are the one feeling "possessed," the one who is possessive, or somewhere in between, think about the fact that our only true feeling of freedom comes from Christ. Amen.
 Now the Lord is the Spirit,
and where the Spirit of the Lord is,
there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment