Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Crumbling Walls and Elephants in the Livingroom


After picking up the mail, I ventured to my neighbor’s house where the children were playing on the driveway. Kierstin, the oldest, said nothing but pointed sheepishly to what I thought was her backyard. I thought, New puppy? New playground equipment? She kept pointing with her sheepish smile. I finally asked, “What?”

She said, “Look!” and walked towards the three- foot brick retaining wall that separated our properties. I gasped. About ten feet of it had crumbled and collapsed to the ground. Our errant bricks had tumbled onto their bushes. I was speechless. How had I not noticed this? I said as much to Kierstin's mother, who explained that she would have told me had she known we did not know, and, yes, a few bricks spill each day—adding to the pile below.

 What happens to my brick wall is what happens in my life when Satan gains ground that does not belong to him. Brick by brick crumbles and pretty soon my life is in a real fix.

How did I not notice this? We weren’t paying attention! It’s a little like having an elephant in the living room. You can't help but know it’s there, but you ignore it. 
We need to turn our false securities, our bitter thoughts, our anxieties over to God. It is where our weaknesses lie that Satan keeps picking, picking until everything lies in a heap.

Repair the wall; kick the elephant out; do what you need to do to feel dignity in Christ. He loves you; he is reaching out for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment