Friday, September 25, 2015

When You Meet Someone....

I am often intrigued, inspired, and even amused by the persons who appear in my life and the circumstances that surround our meetings. We each have social and professional relationships or connections. We also have those persons who we feel we have a spiritual connection with--a heart to heart thing. Sometimes, this connection develops over a period of time; sometimes, it is almost instantaneous.
Therefore encourage one another
and build each other up
as you are already doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11
 
For example...
 
I first met Ann at a discussion based on my book, Thou Shalt Not. She introduced herself and thanked me for writing the book. An email came the following morning from Ann with an offer to take the book to Luther College. She would be attending a class reunion there. "Call the bookstore," she said. "See if they will sell it for you."
 
I called the bookstore and talked to someone who had no idea who I was; they said yes.
 
As the days passed, I learned that Ann lived and taught in another country. Recently retired, she was working on her own family history. This encounter is just one example of the many that have occurred in my life. Serendipity? ... little miracles?
 
Whatever the reason, they encourage me to slow down and listen to the person God has put before me. Think of the missed opportunities if I don't? On the flip side, maybe next time, I will be the giver of whatever needs to be delivered. Is it encouragement? A helping hand? Or, simply a listening ear?
 
 ..so in Christ we who are many form one body,
and each member belongs to all the others.
Romans 12:5

...consider this when you meet someone today...
and reflect the love He gave you.
A single word or phrase, spoken kindly,
may turn one away from error
or cause one to feel loved and cared for....

No comments:

Post a Comment