Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Do You Remember Your First Sin?

I was in Woolworth's with my mom--and a brother or two. The wooden floorboards were warped  and made squeaky noises with every step. Dust bunnies hid in the corners and cracks and shifted slightly as the over-head fans did their best to keep us cool. I had just stolen a stick of Juicy Fruit gum from the large barrel by the check-out corner and slipped it into my pocket. I followed my mother out the door; I followed her down the hot, cemented sidewalk and to our station wagon. I fingered it all the way home not daring to unwrap and taste the sweetness of if.

At home, I was extra quiet and a tad-bit fidgety.  I soon escaped from the house and ventured to our treehouse, the gum still in my pocket. Alone, I took out the gum, folded and folded it until it was crushed. Next, I hid it under the sticks of our little tree house make-believe fireplace and prayed no one would find it.

I never told anyone for years because I was ashamed. It was a child-hood thing and a forever lesson. I had no desire to feel that uncomfortable again about doing something I should not have done.

...the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing... Romans 2:15

Enough said...

No comments:

Post a Comment