Saturday, April 18, 2015

George Washington's Prayer....

On a recent tour of Washington DC and historic surroundings, our group visited Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia. I actually sat in George Washington's family pews. It is a remarkable church in that it still stands and people still worship there on Sunday mornings.

As we left, I picked up a handout: George Washington's Prayer for His Country. I often don't know how to pray for our country; the problems seem so immense that I don't know where to begin. George's prayer was an answer to prayer, so to speak. I say it every morning, and I believe it still fits us today.

You may want to use it during your prayers for our country. George would be humbled and proud that something he wrote in 1783 is still useful today.

I now make it my earnest prayer,
that God would have the United Sates in his Holy Protection,
that he would incline the Hearts of the Citizens
to cultivate a Spirit of Subordination and Obedience to (a Godly*) Government,
to entertain a Brotherly Affection and Love for one another,
for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large,
and particularly for their brethren (and sisters*) who have served in the Fields,
and final, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all--
to do Justice, to love Mercy and to demean ourselves
with that Charity (love*), Humility, and Pacific Temper of Mind,
which were the characteristics of the Divine Author (our Savior and King*) of our blessed Religion,
and without an humble imitation of whose Example in these things,
we can never hope to be a happy (Godly*) Nation.
Amen.

*words in parentheses added by me

Our country certainly needs all of our prayers....this helped me to know how to pray. Perhaps it will be helpful for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment