Sunday, April 12, 2015

Golf, Love Letters, God's Word, and Me


My husband is watching "The Masters" tournament. Tiger, known to anyone who golfs and many of us who do not, is -10 at this point. Since Tiger hasn't been his usual self of late, many "in the know" individuals are speculating as to how he can improve his swing, etc.
 I recently picked up a golf magazine and read an interesting quote regarding Tiger's game--what it used to be and what it should be now.
 “It’s like opening a box of old love letters. You’re not going back to that time and place, but you can learn something about yourself by visiting there.”
This is a curious quote, especially considering that it came from a sports writer and not a romance magazine.
Currently, I'm studying the book of Daniel, a Beth Moore Bible study. I can't go back to Daniel's time, and I was never there to start out with. However, I have learned much by "visiting there." The excessiveness, indulgences, mis-use of wealth, and idolatry of Babylonian times could be an analogy of our own excessive and overly indulgent culture today.

Daniel and his persistent devotion to his God still serves as a role-model for us today.
Every time I study the Bible, I learn something about God. I learn something about myself.
2 Timothy 3:16 reads, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching.... so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Something to think about....
Give praise.
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment