Sunday, June 21, 2015

How I Learned I Was Neanderthal and Why It Doesn't Matter...



When in high school, I learned about the "melting pot." It was a metaphor for a society made up of English, Dutch, Irish, Swedes, Germans, etc. Cultures and nationalities fused to become America, where one could become a "new man" in the Land of the Free. Ancient prejudices and manners were supposedly left behind.

 If you google the term, melting pot, fondue comes up!
How things have changed.

Although we call ourselves Americans, most of us know where our ancestors came from and are proud of it. I knew my father's side was predominantly German and my mother was also German with a mix of Norwegian, etc. I believed this for over 50 years until something called DNA Ancestry Testing told me the truth.

Ready for this? I am predominantly Scandinavian with a little British, German, Irish, and French. I told my husband I was tired of being German anyway. Okay, there is more. The results also said my family was 3% Neanderthal. Excuse me, I thought, everyone has to have a little caveman in them. However, I read the footnote below which stated, "3% is actually quite high."

I am somewhat amused by all of this in that
1) Things that I am so sure of, just might not be so.
2) Our family now knows why my youngest brother loved to do the "ape act" as a kid.

The really cool part of all of this is that with time, none of this really matters. The Great Melting Pot will occur one day when everything on Earth as we know it now, ends, and....

 Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.
 Isaiah 65:17 and Revelations 21:1

God's holy plan and promise is to draw all of us into one love, the love of Christ. It's not going to matter what race you are, what political party you belong to, where you place yourself on the social-economic scale. God created the world to be one holy communion in His love united with the triumphant love of  Christ.

What a celebration that will be!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment