Saturday, June 6, 2015

Life-long Learning

Although the term "life-long-learning" wasn't used until the 1970's, the concept has been around since the beginning of time. Consider Adam and Eve in the garden.... Consider aged Abraham and Sarah when baby Isaac came into their lives.... John, in his later years, wrote Revelations where God revealed the end of human history. Each one experienced a "revelation"--a learning experience of huge proportions.

As we age, we change and adjust to be able to keep up with the times. We listen to the news, we travel, experience grandchildren, and learn new ways to do things and new ways to understand. The learning may be informal and outside a classroom; nevertheless, it's taking place. For example, two of my high school classmates recently reupholstered their patio cushions. This had to be a "learning" experience.

I'd like to think that the little epiphanies, or ah-ah moments, in life could be part of my lifelong learning experiences. For example, in the last few days I have learned how to use the video button on my two year-old phone. I have learned that my exercise machine at the wellness center is not a stair-master (as I have been calling it), but it is an elliptical. A scary crack in a grandson's head can be glued instead of stitched. Animated movies are best seen with grandchildren.

I have learned ALL of this in a matter of a few days.
Amazing!... You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Another amazing thing is that GOD is constantly at work in us. Because of his grace, we can be life-long learners in His kingdom and for His kingdom.

Proverbs 2: 1-5 tells us My son if you accept my words, and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

In all of the above experiences, human will power was involved. Decisions were made, questions were asked. Do you suppose the upholsterers took a class? Looked it up on the internet? I learned how to use the video on my phone because I asked. I realized animated movies are best seen with grandchildren because Grandma and Grandpa tried watching HOME together and discovered we didn't much enjoy it. Taking a huge segue, Abraham and Sarah pleaded for a son, and John was open to God's plan for him as he wrote the book of Revelations while in prison.

In the same way, Proverbs reads ... if you accept....if you call out, cry aloud,...if you look for it and search for it....

A lot of "if yous"....God is giving us a choice.
May your life journey be filled with the little ah-ah moments as well as spiritual epiphanies as you prepare for an eternal life in a heavenly Kingdom.
Now, that's loving life with the love of God.








No comments:

Post a Comment