Thursday, January 21, 2016

He Made Me Do It

It's an excuse I remember using and hearing as a child: "He made me do it." ....

Although, as adults, we may not use the phrase or even think He made me do it--we may use it as an excuse to act and think the way we do. Mind games, disrespect, ridicule, or ignoring are ways we treat those who cause us emotional distress. Or, we simply do not validate their worth or work. After all,  they deserve it; didn't they make us do it?

We each have authentically difficult people in our lives--at the work place, at home, the guy next door?

The natural response to a difficult person is to dish out what they gave. Part of becoming closer to Jesus is to take the high road. You can voice to God the pain you feel, but, then, you take the high road by remembering a phrase like, "What would Jesus do?"

Someone told me to imagine Jesus' presence between my difficult person and me when I respond....  It made it impossible for me to say anything nasty or hurtful. If you think the person is undeserving of a kind word, say nothing at all, or a simple, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

Lest you think you have become a total whimp or doormat, know that only a person with an inner strength and a vision of something greater than all this on earth is able to do this....
Life is very short.
Love is life
Life is love.
Choose wisely....

No comments:

Post a Comment