Saturday, January 9, 2016

I'm Not Much Good at Singing....

In high school, I decided to join the chorus. Being a part of chorus meant a weekly lesson. I will never forget this lesson as I became aware of the fact that I could not sing--at least, not on-key. When the instructor asked me to match the pitch of the key he fingered on the piano, I gave an attempt; he snickered. (He couldn't help it). He tried another key with the same results. He kindly placed me in the alto section and told me to try to sing like those standing next to me. No more lessons would be needed.

If our children received a "needs improvement" on their report cards under music, I understood. They couldn't help it. It was genetics.

Did you know that song originated with God and creation? ... God laid its cornerstone--while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? Job 38:6-7

Can you imagine such a site and such sounds? ... Stars and angels singing and shouting for joy?

The Bible tells us that God will rejoice over us with singing [Zephaniah 3:17], He will surround us with songs of deliverance [Psalm 32:7], and we will praise Him with singing lips [Psalm 63:5][James 5:13] ... and the mountains will burst into song before you and all the trees in the field will clap their hands. [Isaiah 55:12]

Mountains bursting into song? Trees clapping their hands? Is this for real or simply an analogy?

Revelations presents a glorious reigning Christ and Satan's final doom when every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them singing:...[Revelations 5:13]

I choose to think this is not an analogy, it will be for real, and I want to be there when every creature in heaven and on earth, every creature, is singing. My song and pitch will finally be perfect. Just imagine....

Every person has a melody of his or her own, each a new melody for the universal chorus. --
       Elizabeth Sherrill



No comments:

Post a Comment