Saturday, January 30, 2016

Up Against a Brick Wall

When speaking with a good friend recently, she described her dilemmas. Yes, there were many. She ended by saying she was up against a brick wall. I visualized this: my long-haired blonde, athletic friend facing a brick wall. I emailed her with-- "Perhaps you need to change directions, go around the wall, or turn back." She emailed with, "Kathy, I'll probably just kick it down and run through it." I had to smile as I wrote back, "But, then, dear friend, you will stumble on the fallen bricks and one or two of them may hit you on the head as you run through." We could at least both laugh at the picture of all of this.

The truth is that we all travel broken roads--roads filled with rocks and ruts. Sometimes, even the pebbles or sand in our sandals get to us--the little things that niggle at us on a day to day basis.

Another thought: if you have a brick wall before you, are you seeing Jesus? We need to run the race, finish the journey with our face towards Jesus--not facing a brick wall. Since I like analogies, Isaiah 40:28,31 tells us that if our hope is in the LORD we will soar on wings like eagles. I'm going to picture myself running the race with God lifting me up--me flying over walls and not stumbling through them--on my way to a heavenly destination.

Ready to fly?

No comments:

Post a Comment