Thursday, January 14, 2016

Holy, Holy, Holy...

Early Sunday morning, as a child, my family stood up in church and sang, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, early in the morning our song shall rise to thee..."

I haven't really thought of the meaning of "holy" until recently. Hebrews 12:14 tells us Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will ever see the Lord.

Used over 600 times in the King James Version of the Bible, holy needs to be considered. When I googled the word,  it used phrases such as belonging to God, consecrated to God's service, conformed to the will of God and that it comes about with gradual development... Easton Bible Dictionary.

Holiness in the highest sense belongs to God. So, is it not awesome that He calls us to be holy? Talk about setting the bar high....

Leviticus 20:25 reads You are to be holy to me because I the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.

Lest you think this verse is only intended for the Israelites of the Old Testament, how about 1 Peter 1:16... for it is written: Be holy, because I am holy.

Something to think about--
One might feel that trying to be holy
would be confining, limiting.
However, it is likely that it might free you.
Something to think about--


No comments:

Post a Comment