Sunday, December 11, 2016

It's a Matter of Life and Death

Although most things in life are not matters of “life and death,” I sometimes act that way. On the day of one of our daughter’s wedding, I assigned a few simple chores to our teenaged son. He left to do them, returned, and hadn’t completed what I thought he should have. Because of the stress of the day (my only excuse), I laid into him about being responsible. He looked at me sympathetically and basically told me that I needed to settle down. I could have gone off on him again; however, I knew  that he was right.

It’s the season of busy-ness and we can get caught up in “life and death” matters. For example, you weren’t able to find the perfect gift for Jimmy (the thing he really wanted); the ham was too expensive so you’re doing turkey again; grandma and grandpa can’t come (it will never be the same); his family’s Christmas get-together conflicts with mine…
The only thing that is really a matter of life and death is your love for Christ. Romans 14:8,9 tells us “If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord…” ... need a :-) here

Instead of things being a matter of life and death... in Christ, things can be a matter of life and death and life again. Because that is what God has promised—an eternity with Him. People long for answers. They long for hope. ...Advent is the season of hope. They long to believe this life is not all there is. And, it is not. It is a matter of life, and death, and life again.

And the story of all of this “life again” started over 2000 years ago when a baby, the Christ Child, was born in Bethlehem.
... And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

 

No comments:

Post a Comment