Friday, December 30, 2016

New Year's Resolutions and Reflections


 
Considering New Year's Resolutions and curious about past resolutions,
Mom's Diary

I pulled out my mother's diary.


January 1, 1955:  Left home at 8 a.m. We all went to Carolyn's in Sioux City to watch the Rose Parade on TV. A nice warm day. (We had no TV at our own home.)
January 1, 1956:  Church and Sunday School.
January 1, 1957:  We all went to church. Dad came out to watch Rose Parade and spent rest of day. I ironed all afternoon and washed eggs. (TV arrives and times have definitely changed.... washing eggs? Ironing?... did Mother even get to watch the parade?)
January 1, 1958:  Went to church and then to Art's for dinner. Plautz's and Kaylen and Lorraine were there.  Lorraine got a diamond for Christmas.
My mother was a daily and weekly list maker.
I checked the days before January 1 and the days following.   
           No record of any New Year's Resolution!

I pulled out my own diary.
This is what I discovered written on January 1 --on sporadic occasions.

1980: New Year's Resolutions?  I used to have a list of 5 - 10 and now I have trouble thinking of some. There are a lot to be made, I guess, but I'm busier than ever and don't have time for reflection. (Pity trip?)
1987 Resolutions*
  1987... Daily Bible reading. Physical exercise daily. (There was also mention of saving $100 a month for a kids' college fund and plans of growing-out my hair.)
1991: I made some resolutions but don't have time to write them down. . .  Isaac has a cold, again.  Found out we'll be moving in the spring. (We didn't move in the spring, and at this time (2016), I have no idea where I thought we would be going.)  (Ugh?)

Perhaps when talking about where am I going,
I need to establish where I have been and where I am now when thinking about a new year.


 

 



 


My resolutions made at the beginning of a 
new year have matured along with me.  
As I've grown older, I've become more 
comfortable with myself.  
I can stop kidding myself about who I am and 
embrace the me that evolved because life 
was not always easy, take that life,
and blossom in other ways. 

 

According to Wikipedea, less than 1/2 of Americans make resolutions. Of those that do, close to 90% fail.
Telling?
Is it possible we're directing our attention or focus down the wrong path? The "me" path?

Dear Lord, 
the Christian life is a forever adventure--
may I, this year, 
share my zeal and blessings with others....
 
 
Wishing you the best with your end of the year and beginning of the year thoughts and reflections....

 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment